View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 02:20 PM

Default As a long time ticket collector of attended games,

I was pleased when my son and I were able to use his real cardboard tickets to the Yankee game Wednesday. He had four with different players depicted. I chose the Aaron Judge. I score every game I have ever attended (I'm 88 years old) and try to keep the ticket stub. Of course, in recent years, I have had to do with printed tickets on paper which is especially disappointing at playoff and world series games.

I recently won at the recent REA auction a season ticket booklet from the Philadelphia 1896 season with several unused tickets. Of interest to me because Sam Thompson was on the 1896 Philadelphia roster, but also as an example of 19th century ticket styles which like scorebooks have evolved dramatically over the years.

When I started out in 1938 (I still have the scorebook) I could buy a Briggs Stadium scorecard for 5 cents which takes up little space. Last Wednesday, a scorebook at Yankee Stadium cost ten dollars and takes up about 1/4 inch on my shelf. The Yankee Yearbook is now twenty dollars, even heavier, and I try to avoid them, but my six year old granddaughter begged me with tears in her eyes to "bring one home for me."