View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 02:49 PM
Bob Donaldson

Leaving cards to your heirs can be quite the headache for them. One option as suggested is to sell off a large portion of your stuff once you hit 70. This has some merits, but what if I live to 95? I enjoy my collection, it is not an investment, so I will not sell off the majority of my stuff. I will pare down a bit :-) I think the thing to do is have everything organized and documented. Physically, the bulk of my stuff (67-77 BB/FB/Hcky vg/ex), from my childhood is not worth too much. However, mixed in with those albums are some pre-war sets and cards with a bit more value. I am documenting everything and putting together a list of dealers/auction houses and friends that my heirs can talk with. I plan to visit a couple of dealers I know at the next major show and get their advice. Once I have everything documented and organized, with a checklist for my heir(s) to follow I will feel a lot better.

I have debated reviewing things with the person I plan to leave the card with, but what if things change? I'm only 59, I could change who I leave things too. I will likely document and review things to the executors of my will.