View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 08:26 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Todd's #7 has quite a bit of merit.

Is half of a collection a collection? Or a third (if you have 3 kids)? If you split a collection 3 ways, and then the next generation has it all going to one descendant, is that 3 collections combined, or one collection reassembled??

It's in the locating and accumulating, the stories, the hunt. Who is the collector, the someone who buys 520 white border cards, or someone that gradually and eventually tracks down and acquires those 520?
Totally understand the thought process about half a collection, or 1/3 of a collection.

My dad has a small collection of watches, only one of which I particularly want, and none of them are rare. He told me they are mine after he dies, my mom's jewelry will go to my sisters. The watch I want was Great Uncle Bill's watch that he used for surveying military air strips around the world. He left two with my uncle. One christmas I asked my uncle if he would donate one that my siblings and I could clean up and give to my dad. He said yes. Well my dad got sick and he has started to plan his estate. I was frank with him one day and said if he wanted any watches to go to grandkids he needed to tell me now or I would keep his watches together as a collection.... because I love collections, not pieces. Even though I only have sentimental feelings for just one watch, I know that my desire to show off a collection of watches would be too great to split them up. Maybe at some point I'd be willing to piece them out to nephews, but not immediately after his death.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo