Thread: May pickups
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Default American Eagle Tobacco

Some of these items I’ve had for many years, but they tell a better story together. I’ve been collecting American Eagle Tobacco items for over a decade as the President, M. S. Smith, was a big supporter of the home town Detroit Wolverines. I really wish American Eagle Tobacco would have issued baseball cards to go with the many other subject matters they tackled in print and photo. Their best known baseball subject is the trade card that the Post Office recently decided to mimic with their stamp celebrating the 100 year anniversary of “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” (1908-2008).

I have many different varieties of their trade cards including the one here which was distributed in Escanaba, MI; a town very close to where I grew up.

Now for the new items, a pair of 1888 Calendar months. I owe a thank you to David Rosenburg for the April Calendar which has advertising on back for a NY based tobacco store (in Goodwin & Company’s back yard). The June calendar has a more interesting back; the home schedule for the World Champion Detroit Wolverines. As weak as it may be, this could be the closest I will get to finding a direct public connection between the American Eagle Tobacco Company and the Detroit Wolverines.

I’d very much be interested in any other American Eagle Tobacco calendars that might be out there that I might be able to study and/or make a bid to own.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers