View Single Post
Old 08-12-2022, 09:12 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
This is correct. I don't understand what is confusing. A visiting pitcher who pitches 6 innings isn't replaced until the bottom of the 7th inning. Any runs scored from the 1st through the top of the 7th are credited to him.

A home pitcher who pitches 6 innings is replaced in the top of the 7th. Any runs scored from the 1st to the bottom of the 6th are credited to him.

With the DH, there really isn't any pinch hitting for a pitcher anymore, but it is correct that if a pitcher is hit for and removed, any runs scored in that half inning are credited to him.
What is confusing to me is that a visiting pitcher can get a win because of runs that occur in the inning after he pitched, even if the pitcher does a poor job. It just makes the win meaningless because it is so ill-deserved.

There have been articles written about how meaningless a stat the win can be. Take, or instance, this article: https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/w...iest-solution/ that mentions that it is somewhat ridiculous that a starting pitcher needs to pitch 4 innings to get a win (in a 9-inning or more game), but a reliever only needs to get one out to get a win, even if they blow a save in the process.

Instead, this and other articles suggest that "If we're going to continue to pretend a team stat is assigned to an individual pitcher, give the win to the pitcher who, in the discretion of the official scorer, did the most to contribute to the team victory. In nearly every case, it's pretty clear....If it's not easy and obvious, that's OK with me. They make tough judgement calls on errors vs. hits all the time. "

Last edited by cgjackson222; 08-12-2022 at 09:16 AM.