View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 12:57 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I said that a blank back could be a 1925 printing. It also could have been issued at any time later, perhaps by accident. With the # of Topps and Bowman and Leaf unintended blank backs I have seen, it is certainly possible that the company accidentally issued a blank back. The Gehrig portrait card, which has been seen in blank back and touted (incorrectly) as a RC, is a later issue because the pose itself is a later one. My point is better said in the negative than the positive: if you are looking at certain backs (like the "not for use" back especially with the USA legend), you are not looking at an early print run. Similarly, if you have a later pose it is not an early card regardless of the back.

As an aside, there are also instances of the premium advertising back from the 4 on 1 cards issued out of date and of the first 4 on 1 cards issued with the incorrect backs. I suspect they just ran with whatever stock they had on the shelf if they ran low. No one thought that a bunch of card-nerds would be dissecting this 100 years later.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-04-2020 at 01:02 PM.