View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Let me ask you this Marc; What happens to the card once you soak it, if you let it dry without pressing it? Just straight out of the water and lay it on a paper towel. How does the card look after that?

It seems to me that the book pressing is absolutely the same thing as using a spoon to press the card.

Best, Jimmy
Jimmy,
I understand what you are saying but I think there is a big difference between pressing a card to the extent that it is widened and/or creases are removed and simply placing it between two books so it dries flat. I have soaked hundreds of cards and dried them between two books. I can honestly say that this has never removed even the lightest wrinkles or creases. If anything, it can sometimes reveal even more surface flaws that may have been somewhat hidden by the other substances on the card. In my experience, all soaking has accomplished was to remove dirt, glue or paste residue, and other foreign debris from the card...which was exactly my goal.

I'm sure there are ways to remove creases from cards. I do not know how to do this, nor would I attempt to if I did. To me, this crosses the line into physically altering the card.