View Single Post
Old 02-24-2024, 01:40 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourStrikes View Post
I purchased this batch of vintage photographs (back in the early to mid-1980's) showing festivities prior to the June 23, 1914 Overland Day game at Swane Field (A's vs Cubs).....

each photo measures 4 3/4" x 6 3/4" and is stamped "Received July 9, 1914 H.L. Hooke".....as shown in the scans below, in addition to being stamped each one is also hand numbered...

included in the collection are photographs taken outside the factory (Willys Overland sign can be seen in several), the employees (AND Athletics / Cubs players) parading to the game (holding pennants, etc.), members - including clowns - from the Overland Glee Club, Willys posed with Connie Mack as well as players from both teams, pregame ceremony, a few shots of the fans in the stands, etc.....

I wonder where the "chest of silver" that was presented to Bresnahan (as seen in second scan, with story in third scan)

the last two scans show Willys posed with Bresnahan and Mack during the pregame ceremony...

surprisingly, zero of the photographs I have feature the actual game itself being played...I wonder if the photographer was instructed to "focus" on the Overland festivities and to otherwise disregard the game?????

below are a few examples of the photographs.
I know that this is a really old thread, but I picked up a pennant from the 1914 Overland Day game. I was wondering if anyone knows the whereabouts of the photos mentioned by FourStrikes or if any others exist?