View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 08:31 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I don't know why anyone has postcards graded other than for aesthetic reasons. As far as I know there are no postcard collectors out there playing the registry game.

As far as writing on postcards goes, I prefer postcards to be used. It puts a date to them and sometimes tells a great story.
That's almost exactly how I view it.

I'm not all that interested in condition, other than maybe a card fitting maybe 4 categories. Really nice, nice, worn and awful.
And used cards with interesting content or a better stamp or cancel is a huge plus.

My brother collects West Point postcards, and I've paid extra for ones with messages from cadets instead of tourists.

I also picked up a very average postcard of somewhere In the Caribbean, I forget exactly where. The message involved "rocky" and was signed by someone named "Happy" I had a hunch and bought it out of a dollar box. A bit of research, like maybe 15 minutes made it almost positive that it was Happy Rockefeller sending a friend a card while on their honeymoon. Right names, right location, right date, and the recipient knew her- I'll go with that as convincing.

Without the message it's just another crummy card of island scenery.

Steve B