View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Default Possible link: Max Stein Postcards and Pinkerton Postcards?

Posted By: Mike Peich

This is an interesting thread, Patrick. First, I agree with Frank and David that the pictures for both the Max Stein and Pinkerton postcards use images that were commonly shared by postcard/card manufacturers. The shared image is what links them. Case in point: the photographic image of Eddie Collins (in a batting pose) is the same on my Pinkerton postcard, as it is on my Novelty Cutlery and Sepia (PC796) postcards. What differs in each of them is not the image of Collins, but the background. The most accurate version of the original photo appears to be the Sepia since it shows what appears to be a stadium fence, and a group of people at the left in the background, as well as a glove on the ground (to the right of EC's foot). The Novelty Cutlery version of Collins has the background with fence/people, but omits the glove on the ground, while the Pinkerton has the glove visible, but the rest of the background (stadium fence, people) is blackened out. (I can't reduce my scans to post them on the Board, but follow this link to view them: http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q218/mpeich/ and select Collins Postcards). Background notwithstanding, the Collins image is exactly the same in all three.

Steve's comment about the 1916 postmark on his Myers Pinkerton raises another question: When were the Pinkertons issued? The commonly accepted date is 1911. However, on my Pinkerton of Mike Mitchell, the following is written in pencil on the back of the card: “Guy Coonn, Mar. 1, 1914”. It could very well be that Guy acquired his card in 1914, three years after it was manufactured, suggesting that he bought it in the year it was produced. Does anyone else on the Board have a copy of a Pinkerton with a written date/postmark earlier than 1914?

I ask because I am trying to create a checklist of the cards, and this thread has me thinking about the checklist once again. Thanks to all, and I look forward to other responses.

Cheers, Mike