View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 08:44 PM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
FWIW the Maurice Richard is like the Robinson in hockey terms: the major star's card issued long before his accepted RC. But this one was while he was on the Canadiens not the juniors.
From the scan, your Maurice Richard's picture is one of the best I've seen in my recent searches. In 2013, this thread focused on $170.000 being asked for a Jackie Robinson Parade Sportive. Articles from 10 years ago acknowledged the Maurice Richard's as the most prized of all of the hockey ones. Several said it was going for around $200 but that it was second to Jackie Robinson as his fans had made the Robinson worth about 3 times as much ($600). My searches also found that there are a lot more Jackie Robinson's than Maurice Richard's, regardless of the format in which they were printed.

I know you've shown it before, but thanks for showing the Maurice Richard's again. I hope we have some other hockey out there. I'd like to go into details about the entire set of Parade Sportive with Paul Stuart pictures. With the variations, there may be well over 500-600 different ones. Finishing the research would give an answer.

There's a whole history of how the Montreal Canadiens initially refused to allow live broadcast of home games in 1943-45, of how radio got around that by live broadcasting away hockey games especially from Boston. When live home game broadcasts finally started, the radio announcer was hit in the face by a hockey puck.

The 1946 Montreal Royaux became the first championship baseball games to be broadcast live from Montreal and more.

Mike

P.S. Paul Stuart was a Canadian featherweight champion boxer in the thirties and used his acumen as a sportsman to promote all sports in the Montreal area.

Last edited by abctoo; 09-20-2020 at 09:15 PM.