View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
I just spoke on the phone with Ron K. (author of the book), the example of Joss that he is using in his book is one which originated from the family of Nap Lajoie as part of an autograph album that sold back in the 1980's. I know of only two examples generally believed to be authentic, one of them being the one referenced above (that will be in the book) and one which was obtained directly from Addie Joss widow which is cut from a legal document. They are both slightly different but I believe both are authentic. The cut from the legal document matches almost exactly letter for letter the autographed postcard addressed to his son referenced in this thread that was authenticated by Kevin Keating. The version that is to be in the book resembles slightly the example the fellow posted here that he obtained from the long time Texas autograph dealer. I think I know who he is speaking about but can't remember the dealers name, Was it Conrad Barker ? If I recall he was based out of Dallas and died about 20 years ago and he had been a dealer with a good reputation for about 60 years. Maybe a hobby veteran could help with the name. If its the same guy he called his company something else and it was taken over after he died and honestly can't say if they are still in business or not, I'm thinking not.

Two factors to take into consideration with Addie Joss is
a) The variance in his signature probably due to the fact that he was a very sick man the last few years of his life
b) raritiy of known examples
So being able to track and confirm provenance is vital in determining authenticity perhaps even more important than what the autograph itself actually looks like. I've never had an Addie Joss or been offered one so I have no dog in the fight. Hope this helps.
Jim,

Great information-thanks!

Has Ron K. ever told you from what time period he believes that the autograph from Nap Lajoie's album was signed?

Also, I know that Joss died from Tubercular Meningitis, but I was unaware that he was ill for a long period of time. I do know that the TB Meningitis that Joss ultimately died of struck him suddenly in April of 1911 and he died within a few days, shocking the baseball world at the time.

Did Joss suffer from other major ailments as well? It's amazing that he was able to throw a perfect game in 1908 and a no-hitter in 1910 if he did.
Just wondering....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 08-28-2012 at 03:32 PM.