View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

I've been slowly sending in a few at a time on specials. Many of them ones I bought in the late 70's -early 80's, plus a few Ebay pickups.

For values, the first batch I sent in by handing them to them at the Shriners show. I asked about value and after a brief look maybe 15 seconds total, they said "mid grade T206s, 100 each." The ones I've done since then I've just gone with a best guess based on Ebay prices, and put down a high value that fit the service level or whatever special I was using. It's mostly for the registered mail coverage on the return. I've been realistic, I wouldn't try to slide the CB Cobb through on a $250 max value special even if it is a borderline A/10. I figure they'd catch it and call me about paying more. There have been a couple that were borderline - If it graded one way it would be over, if it went another it would be over. No problems with that so far.

I find the grades a bit variable, some higher than expected, some much lower. I'm not finicky about having them all in the same range, so it's mostly ok. I've gotten anywhere from 35-84, and about 50% make sense. Some of the rest are puzzling.

But you can't go wrong with eye appeal. There are some really nice looking lower grades out there. I can't see paying much premium if any, but I won't pass up a really nice looking card for the right price.

I do have a few PSA graded ones I'll eventually cross over. Maybe this month since there's a special. I just have to decide if I'll crack them out or not. Probably will, since it's cheaper right now.

Steve B