View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 08:01 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Curious to get thoughts on this one which just ended tonight for $2300 (plus $5.70 for standard shipping )

Orig 1911 VANDERBILT CUP AUTO RACE Souvenir PENNANT 34" Savannah Georgia

https://ebay.us/qOXEAH

It seems way off to me (despite the sellers guaranteed authenticity). It's very white for 110 years old. Also interesting, it looks nothing like 1910 or 1912 Vanderbilt Cup pennants, neither of which has sewn on letters or images. In fact there is another 1911 Cup pennant that does closely resemble the 1910 and 1912 pennants (and it sold for $5700+ on ebay about 10 years ago). No pin holes seems unlikely as well. Lastly, the image of the car in tonights auction shows only a single driver, while all other pennants have two in the car. I don't know enough about the race or these pennants to know for sure but I see enough red flags that I wouldn't have bid on it. Also below are the other 1910 thru 1912 Vanderbilt Cup pennants...
I saw that too, but I didn’t see what it ended at. I thought it was legit as that was a common style for that era. I understand what you mean about different styles, but I think it’s good. Just my opinion.