View Single Post
Old 12-31-2022, 04:22 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

“We all get the exact same 365 days, but not the exact same cards...”

DING!!! DING!!! DING!!!

I present to you a special New Year's Eve bonus, Collectorisms Part XIII.

"Get busy collecting, or get busy dying!!"

No animatronic Dick Clarks were used in the creation of this debacle.

830. Sold Lang Syne
The melancholy of looking back on your past sales and thinking what a shame it was you decided to sell your cards when you did, because every one of them is now worth ten times as much.

831. Gnawman
Any obvious reseller/flipper who approaches you about lowering the cost or 'value' of a card you have up for sale or trade by using the tired old trope, “I need a little meat on the bone.”

832. Path of Fleece Resistance
Taking all of the rudimentary steps required to ensure a transaction has no real chance of being a scam job.

833. Tobacnology
Using creative and innovative investigative techniques to try to solve the puzzle of how the print sheets of T206 cards were laid out.

See also: “Tobacc in Black” (slang) - selling a T206 card for a nice profit.

834. Distractground
The clever attempt by a seller to utilize some sort of ornate or decorative background in his photo to draw the viewer’s eyes away from recognizing the inherent flaws of a card.

835. Amasstodon
A long-time collector sporting a massive accumulation of cards who comes to the realization that he doesn’t so much collect cards as he does stockpile them.

836. Divuljerk
Someone who inadvertently screws over other collectors by ‘accidentally’ letting slip to the masses a bit of insider information or a hobby secret that has always given the people in the know a distinct advantage in the collecting marketplace.

837. High Horseshit
Someone who feels his views on any subject falling within the parameters of the card collecting world are the only ‘rightful’ sentiments regarding the matter.

See also: IQ Pest - a member seemingly on an endless quest to prove to everyone that he’s the smartest person in every thread he posts in.

838. Donwestinated
The use of overly descriptive, high energy words and phrases to push and persuade people to buy your cards for sale.

839. Breadspread
The simple calculation of taking the price of a card you’re interested in buying and comparing it to how much money you yourself could readily turn around and sell it for (if the need ever arose), to determine if it is a worthwhile buy.

840. Eleventh Sour
As an auction nears its end, the frustrating internal debate of whether or not to place a last ditch effort, much-more-than-you-want-to-spend, bid.

841. Snaggressively Priced (also Sacriprice)
A seller offering his cards for sale at such bargains that they are sure to be immediately grabbed up by anyone seeing them.

842. Soughtomatic
When someone starts a new thread seeking to get hits off their need list from a certain year, you know without even looking that it will include all of the hard-to-get, big-money cards from that particular set.

843. The Buyonic Man (also Steve Costin’)
A collector who doesn’t even bat an eye when forking over a ton of money, even if he is greatly overpaying, for a card he wants at that moment.

844. Low Water Carp
The smallest amount paid for something hobby-related that your significant other can find on a credit card statement that will send her into a tizzy.

845. Mindseyers (also Roll Call-Stars)
The specific stand-out, notable cards that the vast majority of collectors immediately think of the moment a particular set is mentioned.

846. “I’d rather bitch in cardboard heaven than be content in hell.” (maxim)
The collecting fallibility of endlessly searching for new things to complain about, even when the hobby landscape looks and feels relatively promising.

And a very happy last remaining hours of 2022 to everyone!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 10-20-2023 at 04:05 PM.