View Single Post
Old 09-22-2022, 03:18 PM
Stu.art Gil.bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
But does overrating him by a couple spots make him the most overrated of all time???

Billy Herman is in the hall with a lower WAR than Jackie's 10 year career in 15 years. Mazeroski barely got to HALF of Jackie's total in 17 years. You don't see anyone wushing to put Frank White in the HOF and he's damn near the identical player to Mazeroski. If we're going with MOST overrated I just don't see how it can be a guy who averaged 6 WAR. If you like counting stats then Jackie can't be your guy, but fer cryin' out loud he's 16th all-time in WAR at the position in half the time of a lot of the guys ahead of him, and many of them only beat him by a hair. If you look at WAR 7 he jumps to 5th all time, WAR5C Also 5th all time, and again his major league career didn't start until he was 28.

I don't think many people would vote for Billy Herman or Mazeroski as the greatest ever at their position. The majority of people that voted in the All Century poll did vote for Robinson as the greatest 2nd basemen ever. You stated I don't think anyone considers him the greatest second basemen of all time and clearly many people do. I cannot think of another player that comes close to Robinson at having his status as the greatest at his position be based more on his reputation than his performance.

All that said, i do think Robinson was a great player, one of the greatest, and probably a even better human being. It's not his fault his ML career started so late but the truth is his numbers just don't add up to being the greatest at his position as many people seem to rank him. This is why i think he is one of the most overrated players.

People seem to think being labeled overrated is a huge putdown but i don't. In Robinson and Clementes' case it is probably a compliment to know that so many people rate you that highly based on what you did off the field as much or more than what you did on the field.