View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Default Clay Kershaw and Steiner

Posted By: DJ

I think $10 Million is a little far fetched. His signing bonus at the time was a whopping $1.5 million and last known, he was laying brick. I'm also not sure you would want to put Brien Taylor whose fame comes at being basically worthless, on any premium Yankee items. When he was hot, I remember selling his Topps Gold signed insert card for $150 and getting multiple calls for more.

Like everything (especially Kershaw), attitudes change for these kids about signing once they realize that signing their name equals money. You think Kershaw will be happy to sign for free now? As a part time chaser (loser), I see it all the time, especially on the minor league level. Players (in the minors)like Phil Hughes telling people that he's not allowed to sign the sweet spot of balls because he had a deal with an autograph company and seeing Joba Chamberlain avoiding signers like we had the plague.

The day after Johnny Cueto pitched brilliantly, his stock rose and one ball sold for $50. They were about to put him in the Hall Of Fame it seemed. At 4-5, the hype has dimmed down. I also remember getting Ryan Anderson of the Mariners (the Space Needle, who would replace Randy Johnson) on two balls and selling them for $110. And then there was Drew Henson and Ruben Mateo and Alex Escobar and D'Angelo Jiminez and Juan Rivera and Chad Mottola and Bam Bam Meulens and so on and so on and so on. People who pay $90 for Kershaw when they could get an Aaron or Mays at that price simply needs to be drug tested.

DJ