View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 02:11 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I have to vehemently disagree with you: we collectors are still "largely seen as oddballs".
We're weird, we're here, get used to it.

But seriously, I hope you are right. My retirement window (proposed) is about 15 years, so if my collection doubles or triples in value in the interim, I might be able to exit the rat race a few years early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
But would you really sell? I tell my wife, “hey guess what my card was $X and now it’s $Y and my other card increased 3 fold from three years ago... and... after her eye roll, she goes “so what, you’re never selling”.... hahaha

-your fellow weirdo
As someone who is on the verge of retiring, and has been semi-retired for just over a year, I used to think the same thing. While my cards are not seven figures, they are well into six figures in value, and would make a small difference in my monthly income, by investing them properly.

Except, here is the deal... I'm not done collecting. I am fortunate in that I don't need to cash them out, but with the kids launched and less expenses, I actually have the opportunity to accumulate more. So I do.

I have not lost that desire to keep collecting, and it's something I will continue to enjoy into retirement.

Or maybe I'm just weird