View Single Post
Old 08-23-2002, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Default Grade Tech- corner magnification question

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

I think the corner scans require interpretation, and they may not tell the whole story. A 20x scan isn't going to help with certainty on anything less than NM/MT, because other grades might have corner problems that are outside that tiny area.

For example, the '54 Bowman that we saw a link to recently has a ding on the upper left, which is not visibiel on the 20x scan or the 1x scan, it's only visible on the 3x scan.

If I had this 20x scan available on the back of the PSA flip, there are some cards I would have turned down. Sometimes you'll get an 8 with a worn corner. It might help identify some bad 7's that I've seen as well.

It could have a down-side of forcing the grader to be more mechanical. The corner grade is a major component, but not the only component, and sometimes you get a nice card with marginal corners or a marginal card with nice corners. It seems that the centering is a major factor in differentiating 6/7/8.

There is much to criticize here but at least it's an attempt to do something different and better.

bruce