View Single Post
Old 12-13-2022, 12:08 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
That's a cool ass card. Didn't know there was a triple folder in that set. Don't think I've ever seen so much text on the back of a tobacco card.

What's the story behind that card, for us uninitiated with that set, if you don't mind...and how much bigger is it then a regular card from that set?
The story is largely a mystery. It's taller than a T202 triple folder. T70 has 25 cards that aren't the easiest but aren't really difficult (gallery is here, it's a set of great images in my opinion, heavily weighted to the Revolution: http://www.moviecard.com/gallery/tcards/t70.html). There are several backs, one of which is a physically smaller card and appears to have never produced the triple folder and so only has 24 cards.

The triple folder card here was certainly short printed. They are pretty rare to even find a separated panel from. It doesn't appear that, being triple the size of a normal card when printed, that it is 1/3 as common as a normal card just because it took up more space on the sheet. They're definitely tougher than that, I would guess they were probably printed on their own sheet to make the folding feature easier in production than mixing with non-folding normal cards. A normal card in the set is the size of one of the panels. So the card folded up could have fit just fine in a pack of cigarettes. It's unclear to me if they were ever issued in packs, or if they were distributed some other way as a kind of premium item.

It's one of those cards I really like independently from its set and wish was a super printed common, because it's a really cool and unique idea and execution. Off memory, I believe it's the only triple folder card from the ATC related sets outside of the T202 classic. I'd like a reprint for daily desk display