View Single Post
Old 02-01-2023, 02:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There is one thread on this board somewhere (couldn't find it) where there was an extended debate over this issue. Some of the better ESCO minds (or just the more obsessed ones) are here, so it is interesting reading. In a nutshell, the earliest remotely likely issue date is for the 1948 season because the company just did not do rookie cards, it did established player cards. Even the rookie cards in ESCO are cards of guys with some time in the majors. The most valuable, the 1925 Gehrig, was issued in Lou's 3rd season in the Bronx. He was promising but had only appeared in two dozen games before Pipp's headache. Add in the racial factor and there is just very little chance of a 1947 ESCO Robinson card. I'd say none, unless someone finds an uncut sheet or checklist card. 1948 printing is a real possibility. As for how long they ran, ESCO pretty much dumped guys when they left MLB, so Robinson's run was most likely 1948-1956.

I know it is a tangent, but Doby and Paige are a lot easier because both were in the 1949 print run, which can be seen from the "An Exhibit Card" imprint on them. Paige was dumped very quickly, so his card is shorter printed than Robinson and has only the 1949 version (my reporting otherwise was, I am sorry to say, wrong).

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-01-2023 at 02:37 PM.