View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 04:14 PM
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Actually, in the 1960s, as the arcades closed, ESCO tried to sell its cards in packs.

I thought this might be interesting to add to the discussion to show how flexible the company's printing was:

As you can see, this sheet has Salutations of Pafko, Feller and Elliott (allegedly printed only through 1946), a 1949 Rizzuto (with the An Exhibit Card marking at the lower left), a Robinson, and some basic mid-1950s cards. The Newcombe card, for example is likely from the 1950 or later print run. Newcombe made his big-league debut on May 20, 1949. Unlikely that an early season call-up would be in the 1949 set, and there is no "An Exhibit Card" marking on Newk's card, which would be on a new 1949 card. The Ashburn also is not the AEC marked version. Ashburn's first game was April 20, 1948. He does have an AEC version from 1949, which I think can rightly be called a rookie card:

They also misspelled his name "Ritchie". There is also a clear 1950 card based on the size of the MADE IN USA marking:

Still with his name messed up. This is the one that shows on the uncut sheet. Here is Richie Ashburn with the misspelling corrected:

I think the sheet is likely a 1950, so the Robinson would have 3 years printing at that point.

The rookie stuff may be difficult to solve, but the ESCO card is a career-contemporary card with a nice image.

Dennis, if you want to see some Robinson eye candy, there is a thread on the postwar board that is all Jackie, all the time, and the collectors here have posted some rare and really interesting cards there.
I'm going to have to check that Jackie thread out tonight.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk