View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Default Would anyone here seriously vote him into the hall

Posted By: Gary B.

I just looked at the stats for Maris - if this guy gets voted into the hall, it's for 61 and for 61 only. It's a conundrum - his stats say no way, not in a million years, but then, if he got voted in strictly for the 61 stat, I really wouldn't complain about it - it was such a monumental acheievement. As has been said before though, the all time doubles leader and triples leader aren't in - it's hard not to be biased by the glorificaton of the home run as a statistic, but is becoming the all time triple or double leader any easier to accomplish? Looks to me like those stats are much harder to achieve, but they aren't recognized as having anywhere close to the same grandeur. Having said that, the man definitely doesn't belong, but I'm so impressed by the home run ball (as are so many fans) that I wouldn't object either - like I said, a conundrum.

I also looked at Lefty O'Doul's stats, and as far as I'm concerned, he doesn't get in either. He had 4 fantastic years, one of them out of this world, but otherwise the numbers just don't add up - he has a very high batting average, but with a very small number of games played.

If it was up to me, neither would get in, it wouldn't even be close (even if my Goudey O'Doul would go up in value!).