View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Default More potential Hall of Famers announced ...

Posted By: Anthony N.

None of the guys on the ballot have gotten a single hit, struck out a single batter, or stolen a single base since they were passed over 15 consecutive times by the BBWAA. What his changed to make them more worthy now, other than our perspective and possible romanticization of their careers?
I can certainly understand Negro Leaguers (although opening the floodgates to 17 seems to have jumped the shark, with apologies to Ryan). I can see managers, executives, umpires, anyone that didn't appear on the BBWAA ballot. I can see players like O'Doul and Minoso, that don't fit within the original rules but whose contributions go well beyond their (mlb) playing careers. I can also see 19th Century players and players that retired well before the first ballot in 1936, since we have so much more research and sharing of information on these players than we did previously.
I just can't see the point of reconsidering players that have been considered on 15 separate ballots. The question has been asked and answered, and the answer, then as now, should remain no.