View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Default More potential Hall of Famers announced ...

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Warneke vs. Gomez, eh? There are many pitchers whose exclusion is mind-boggling. This is one of the worst areas to discuss, as playing of favorites always comes into play even more than with other positions whose populations in Cooperstown are dwarfed by all the pitchers and outfielders. It certainly helped Gomez that he was Yankee, as it later aided Phil Rizzuto.

If you are keen on third basemen, then what about Cox? Surely the greatest defensive/offensive 3B prior to Brooks. I dare say that Cox was at least equal to Robinson from a purely defensive standpoint. Cox was a man of few words and fewer friends. He was a solitary man who let his glove and bat speak on his behalf. Has baseball forgotten Billy Cox?

Not to get back into my love-fest for Hank O'Day's case, but I did want to point out the eerily similar personal characteristics shared by O'Day and Cox. Neither man had but perhaps one friend in baseball (Cox had Furillo; O'Day had fellow player/ump Bob Emslie). Both men were highly respected for their conduct and superior abilities on the field. Both seem to have been very shy and aloof individuals, thereby hindering the chances of their contemporaries getting to know/warm up to them. This last part is especially hurtful to their cases when you think of how sportswriters would feel about that. Neither man was known for giving many interviews. When playing their own favorite Cooperstown choices, the writers are obviously going to take that into consideration. Chances are that they would either feel offended by a perceived "cold shoulder", or they would have a tendency to forget about the quiet players/umpires of strong ability.

Please excuse my slightly o/t tangent. I would be interested in hearing if anybody else agrees/disagrees with the above.