View Single Post
Old 03-06-2022, 05:30 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageHoarder View Post
This is an Exhibit rookie. Mays, for one, didn't play in 1952 or 1953, due to being drafted to the Korean War; secondly, the anniversary patch on his sleeve on that card was only worn in 1951. This patch was to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the National League, which was celebrated in 1951. American League also had a patch for that year, and Mantle can be found in this set with his patch, as well. I don't care what the checklist indicates...that patch says it all.
Classically bad reasoning backed up by factual errors:

1. If the patch is from the 1951 season, it proves only that the photo was taken in 1951, not that the card was made in 1951. More likely is that the card was made for the 1952 run since Mays is not on the 1951 checklist and was voted ROY for 1951. ESCO was not in the habit of producing cards of untested rookies, but would have added a ROY to the run for the next season.

2. Contrary to your statement, Mays did play in 1952. He played in 34 games. In fact, in his last game in 1952 he was given an ovation at Ebbets' Field in recognition of his service.

3. The fact that you "don't care what the checklist indicates" is irrelevant. The checklist exists and Mays is not on it.

I understand that you have a financial stake in proving that the cards you hoarded are Mays rookies, but the facts do not support your statements.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-06-2022 at 05:34 PM.