View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 06:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
I have no idea of era and feel is best indicator but I think it is vintage. I have some very old pennants with that same unique stitching at the very top and bottom of the spine (which doesn’t permit a dowel). I’ll see if I can find an example. .... Didn’t we see a series of very old pennants like this with city names? Perhaps because of two NY teams the nickname was used.
Some good news, and some bad (to a far lesser extent...)

I completely agree with Greg that "feel" is the best indicator. But (without having it in-hand) I like the look and grain of the felt, as much as the pics can portray. Everything else about it also looks vintage and correct.

The Pin holes are a good sign, as are the little moth bites in the "A". Moths are not too hot on polyester blends, last I checked.

So with that said... what era is it from? Those previously discussed generic embroidered types from the Teens were all full-sized and had 2-color tassels. Plus, they had the City Name, rather than a team name. This Giants pennant is 3/4 size, and looks much more like it's from the very late 1940s - mid 1950s.

The Giants switched from a Blue/Red color scheme to Black/Orange in 1947. Based on all of this, I feel strongly that it's an early - mid '50s NY Giants pennant.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by perezfan; 08-29-2020 at 06:03 PM.