View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Default It's the same old song

Posted By: Rich Klein

But with a different post depending on the day.

In this corner, Jim C., who has a huge investment in cards, and wants all his future purchases to be verified by a 3rd person. That 3rd person is very talented and keeps up to date on card alterations and without that person's approval, Jim won't purchase any cards. By and itself, that premise is fine -- I'm beginning to think that part of the issue is the constant bringing up of Kevin S.

Jim has been called out in the past for not wanting to review all his cards, and I do understand his issue that he just wants to look forward, not review the cards he has already bought. IMHO, I believe Jim should have ALL his cards looked at because it makes his argument about cleaning up mistakes in the hobby weaker. And frankly, that seeming hypocrisy is why people call out Jim. Since SGC is 20 minutes from his house, a drop by to examine some of the cards Jim himself has stated worries him would not be impossible. However, since those cards are Jim's property -- its totally his decision on what to do with them,

Jim, I'm not trying to read anything more into your motives BUT I believe that you want only to worry about things going forward. The past is prologue and can't be changed. I personally agree with the non-insulting posters that that if you want to be a leader in this movement, you have to be one of the first guinea pigs to have your cards checked out. However, that is your call and your call only.

In the other corner -- The Barry Sloate argument -- again -- if I'm stating something wrong, please correct me -- there is nothing personal in any of this:

Barry's point is that as an auction agent, trying to get top dollar for his client's cards -- he is comfortable sending cards off to SGC to get graded so they will sell easier in his auction. He believes that he has done his due dillegence by sending the cards off to be graded, having them examined with tools he may not possess and have them returned in an encapsulated state. At which point, he feels comfortable selling those cards. If Jim wants Kevin to look at Barry's cards -- it then becomes Barry's option as the seller of those cards if he wants a 4th persons approval before those cards are sold to Jim. Barry can either say yes or no to Jim's request as while the card is in his possession for the auction, it is his card.

Yesterday, we got the added fillup of LTS. Could someone please bring me up to speed on LTS and exactly what is involved to join or lurj. I would love to read that discussion group (or at least create a favorites link to this).

We also got the personal attacks back which makes for a funfilled beer and popcorn afternoon and evening

Now, is there some happy medium we can all reach OR will we fighting this same argument (like we did with Jay B and Jim C) for an seemingly endless amount of time.

I prefer we agree to disagree and not bring up this subject for a while

Regards
Rich