Thread: Dont blame mom
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Steve Birmingham

No wholesale destruction for me, just the usual flipping and putting them in the bike spokes.

I did wreck a few 81 topps using them between layers when I had all my RC cans stacked along a wall of my bedroom. I had all three sets stacked, 77 and 78 baseball, plus the football. Close to 240 cans, plus a few others on a shelf that ran along the wall about 4 feet up. They didn't stack well, and after a collapse I used cards to even things out. 6 years later when I moved them the cards had a lot of can shaped dents.

And of course I used modern shiny extras as coasters.

And a few got used in other ways, leveling furniture, making a 78 stand up out of a common, that sort of thing.

Mom didn't even throw out many cards. I got one pack a year from 69, and 71-72, and probably still have most of the cards, maybe lost a few in cleanups but I know for sure I still have a 69 and a 71 coin.

What did get tossed was the pocketfulls of 67 or 68 coke caps I scrounged at a party. Apparently rocks frogs and bugs - my usual things that got brought home - were ok but a couple big pockets full of "dirty old bottlecaps" were just too far over the line for mom.

Later on she helped me look for RC cans, and for rack packs when the store we shopped at put them on sale near the end of the season, and even swiped a few shelf ads for hostess cards. She still picks up a card or two if she sees something odd and on sale.

Steve B