View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Personally I'd rather buy a hot dog cart and sell hot dogs to blue/white collar workers every day...this would be a much easier...more profitable business model than vintage bb cards.
I used to get lunch at a sub shop where the owner basically did just that. He was a big time chef, he had photos of him and the Kennedys with a 20ft long cold cut "platter"

He quit the high end stuff because in his words "When lunch is $100 a plate people feel obliged to complain and send stuff back. Here I can make 500 people happy between 11 and 1 "

As far as the card market goes, It would depend on the item. Certain stuff will do well NOW, and some won't. Unless your thing will be dealing in the very high end only it's a better time to buy. The upper mid range stuff will be weak for a while, and when it comes back it'll be great. (Assuming the popularity holds) The cheap stuff could represent a bit of a bargain, but will always be inexpensive.
If I had the capital, I'd be buying really nice condition cards of better players, stuff in the 200-1000 range. Maybe more for the bigger names. And I'd be planning on holding it for say 5 years. After that, I'd either have a nice collection or a nice inventory.

Predicting what's going to be big is nearly impossible. Over 30 years we've seen pretty much everything have its day. Inserts, variations, Ecards, Etopps......Only a few things have stayed fairly stable.

The efficiency of big price fluctuations cuts both ways.

Steve B