View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Bob Beck

I have had a brick and mortar shop for 21 years now. Prior to opening the shop I was a municipal bond trader at a large Investment banking house. I actually liked my job but wanted my own business, something I really would love. I still love it today but would not recommend anyone attempting to open up a collectibles store in this day and age unless they had a huge chunk of capital to fall back on. I think Charles Darwin had it right as it has truly been "survival of the fittest." Everyone around me has slowly folded shop. I deal heavily in vintage (I always have been heavily oriented in 60's and back material) as my customer base is 30-70 year old men. When I first opened it was 70% kids/30% adults. What few kids are around will buy autographed memorabilia but most disposable income is left for video games and the sort. I have picked up some customers from my website and ebay has been a great outlet when times are really slow. Finding vintage is tough and finding it in decent shape even tougher. But, you never know what may walk through the door and that keeps the excitement going. I am also a massive collector (a true conflict of interest) so I really love the stuff. The collectibles shop owner in the town I live always asks if I would buy his store(he survives but it is tough and he has been in business 25 years). He usually sells me the vintage that walks into his shop. He gets way more vintage walk-ins than I do as he is in a more rural area. So, in the end, as a hands on shop owner I truly love the business and it is still fun but I do not think one can make a living as a new start-up brick and mortar. I know I could not start from scratch again and expect to survive. I still do okay because of longevity and reputation. Hope that helps some-Bob Beck-Bob Beck Sports Collectibles.