View Single Post
Old 01-08-2023, 12:36 PM
d.ean

Think about it, what would be the best item for multiple signatures of hof players?

When, the majority of my hobby funds switched from cards to autographs and memorabilia, initially I was not impressed with Perez-Steele. I always had the player sign a ball and depending on the player a b&w photo. Over the years, as I watched signatures on signed balls fade and bleed to oblivion, I realized that I should have given Perez-Steele postcards more consideration. The cards were the perfect item for signatures.

At the time (late 80's early 90's) I could not find an oversize picture of the HOF for players to sign. Eventually, a collecting friend took a picture of the hall, had a friend airbrush away the occasional visitor and an oversize picture of the hall was the new medium for hof signatures. Currently, there are 50 plus signatures on the HOF picture. I never had a player sign a ball again.

Well over a decade ago, I had an idea for a Bill Mazeroski piece and I thought the standard Perez-Steele postcard would work. Now, I have about 30 of the post cards signed and I am still holding out hope for the final two possible gets (Brett and the impossible Koufax). I wish that I had started with Perez-Steele sooner, because I would have had another 10-12 signed cards of some of the greats, especially Mantle and Ted Williams. Personally, I thought Bill Purdom was the best artist of that era. I have about 10 signed Purdom lithographs. Kreindler is the best I have ever seen. Neither artist did post cards, and from conversing with both men; both stated the difficulty with the licensing when working with MLB, the HOF, players or the players estate. I wish Kreindler would produce lithographs of living players. I believe limited edition of Kreindler lithographs of living players would crush. I would be a buyer.

There is a vendor at the CSA show who sells framed autographed pictures of multiple sports. He has been setting up at CSA forever. He has the entire Perez-Steele celebration set (one or two cards unsigned) which is just an awesome piece.

Last edited by Huck; 01-08-2023 at 12:40 PM.