View Single Post
Old 03-29-2003, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Default Ebay auctions to watch out for

Posted By: Julie

and, as soon as I read one auction, decided that was the one i wanted. The Canadian seller had NO SCAN, but described the cover in great detail and--most important--said the record was a "second strike" not a "first strike" (I had seen half a dozen guys trying to pass the 1972 strike off for a 1950s one). He listed all the songs, and said that the jacket said "abridged" on it, but that it was NOT; he had listened to every word, and it was just like the original.

I bid real high, but got the record for 42 or 48 dollars (while some charletons were selling the SAME RECORD as a "first strike" and getting 80).

As a rule, I've found Canadian sellers to be more honest, send things for less dough which arrive quicker. (this does not include Mr. C, of the magazines; he kept sending me the cheapest possible magazines, when I was obviously willing to pay over $300 to get a nice one. Which i finally did, at a local show. Mr. C is very unintuitive.

Also had great experience with a German (and got to practice my German). He took PayPal! The (chess) cards were AGES getting here, but were simply but effectively packed so they were not damaged. It was a set of six (he explained this), which I'd already gotten most of here, but hid were in FAR superior condition (They were German cards).

Do NOT buy books printed in England,, unless you're positive the author doesn't have an American printer; you'll pay twice the price.

If something arrives damaged, be sure to retain and return to seller all the things about the package that night be related to the damage. Even if he returns your dough with no trouble, he will proably have a hard time getting HIS money back. I once ordered a '55 Dodgers Yearbook in mint condition, and it arrived with th front cover torn nearly off. The package weasn't torn, bUT--the back of it was black, as if it had been continually driven over by a truck. Seller was very grateful.