View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 10:33 PM
Curt

I had read somewhere, don't recall if it was an article or maybe a collector feedback. Supposedly, McLaughlin fled to France when this was all unfolding after his arrest. Of course, he could be anywhere or even dead by now.

The funny part is that he, like so many other obscure toughies, are guys nobody would care a lot about normally. People build sets all the time and getting the common players is part of that ritual. It is when we discover how hard one is to find that the $ soon catch up.

I found out about McLaughlin when I decided to track down as many signed "vintage" M's cards as I could, from 1977 to about 1987-88. They have plenty of guys who just don't have a lot of supply out there besides Byron. Maybe it was the crappy teams, or maybe they just disappeared into obscurity. Names like Rod Craig (i did see that he was murdered in a homeless camp several years back), Randy Sten (now also deceased), Rick Anderson (Deceased), Paul Serna, Greg Bercierviez (probably misspelled, not going to look it up), Kim Allen, Casey Parsons, Jose Baez, Juan Bernhardt, Carlos Lopez, Reggie Walton to name a few. I really enjoyed building those team sets, but it was frustrating to see so many were a lot harder to find than the average common form those years, and my team sets will likely never be complete because of McLaughlin.