View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Todd

Default Authenticity Question: Mantle, Dimaggio, Williams.

Hello all,

I don't spend too much time posting and I am not a big-time collector. I'm really not into the memorabilia side and I just got into vintage cards about 2.5 years ago.

Most of my autographs came from packs of modern cards, Steiner Sports, or in person. However, I do have a dozen or so items from my childhood/teenage years that were purchased from various dealers - some with COA's and some without. (I was young and didn't know any better!)

I have three signed 8X10 photos that my mother purchased for me when I was young. They were purchased from "Auto Central" in California, each for $75 (remember, this was years ago.) They are hanging up on the wall and I have always wondered if they were "really real." After doing some research, I could not find this place (I'm sure they're out of business.) There is a place in California called "Autograph Central," but they deal in music, movies, etc. What I was able to come up with was 1) Mantle, Dimaggio, and Williams are some of the most counterfeited signatures out there and 2) a lot of crap came out of California. Of course, this had me concerned.

I have included scans of the three autographs and a sample of one of the "COA's." I was wondering if anyone could offer their opinions on these signatures and/or if it is even worth it to send to JSA?

The Dimaggio scared me, as it didn't look like many signatures I've seen of his. After browsing some old auction catalogues, I did see a very similar Dimaggio in a Clean Sweep auction. Perhaps he had different styles or from different time periods? For example, I've met former NHL player, Pierre Turgeon, a few times and he had two totally different signatures. They're both real - I got them in person! Perhaps that is the case with other athletes as well.

I really don't have much knowledge on the topic - and that is why I usually stay away from the signed memorabilia. I just hope this isn't one of those cases where a family member was trying to do something really nice and, as it turns out, was suckered into purchasing counterfeit items.

If anyone would like to offer their opinions on the items, thinks I should send them to JSA, or even has information on this dealer, it would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.

Todd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coa 001.jpg (70.2 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg mantle 001.jpg (75.0 KB, 152 views)