View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Default Think theres deserving 19th century players not in the HOF

Posted By: john/z28jd

Peter the only thing wrong with that thinking is that people set certain standards and if a player doesnt reach it for whatever reason they arent thought of as highly.Tony Mullane sat out 1 1/2 seasons because of "contract disputes".He had 33 and 35 win seasons surrounding the first season he missed.He missed 300 wins by 16.Thats what kept him out of the hall of fame to this point,nothing else.For Bobby Mathews do you really think if he knew 300 wins would get him into a Hall of Fame he wouldve retired at the age of 35 just 3 wins short? He missed 2 entire seasons with contract disputes yet still came just 3 wins away from being famous.Now hes an afterthought

Sam Rice is an example i used of players not taking stats into account when they played,it wasnt an example of what couldve been,you missed that point.Also using Darryl Strawberry as an example is wrong because the whole time hes been alive theres been a Hall of Fame,and that totally goes against the basis of what i said.

I never said Rice had 3000 hits and i dont tell anyone he had it,i tell them he had 2987,then tell them what he said,again paraphrasing,then let them know he hit .293 in over 300 at-bats his last year in the majors.With him its not projecting stats to say he wouldve been great,he already was great and couldve easily played to get 13 more hits.