View Single Post
Old 03-16-2023, 07:32 PM
CJ

Default Cabinet Photo: Did I just miss out on a doozy? (Walter Johnson)

I'm no expert in the realm of vintage baseball. But, I just lost an auction for a few old cabinet photos. This one was in the lot. From what I could tell:

- It is marked San Bernardino California 1911-12.

- Jerseys say Urbita. That appears to be the Urbita Stars, some sort of winter league team in California that would play with some major league ringers and whatnot during the offseason. Sometimes they appear to have played under pseudonyms.

- I found a newspaper from February 1912 that had a box score that matched most of the players in the photo (including Altizer), so it had to be around then. But, it wasn't for this game.

- The photo is marked by row, and I could ID all but two guys on baseball-reference. I couldn't find the Smith guy, or the one with writing on his chest.

-As you can see, the middle row has an A's player (I believe Cy Morgan(?) under a pseudonym), Chief Meyers, Dave Altizer, and potentially Walter Johnson.

- Chief Meyers and Walter Johnson both had family about 45-60 minutes away from the team's home park... which would lead me to think they could drop into a game for a few bucks while visiting family around area during the winter holidays/offseason.

So, am I totally crazy? Does that look like Walter Johnson to you? It really looks like him to me.

I can't find any references to Johnson, Meyers, or the A's player, ever having played a game for them.

If you think that's Walter Johnson, what do you think the value on that should've been? I'm sure it has to be one of a kind at this point.

I'm kicking myself for being the underbidder, but I just had no clue on the value.

The only photo. Click for slightly bigger resolution, but that's all I've got:

Last edited by Prof; 03-16-2023 at 07:33 PM.