View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Default New Pre-War HOFers? ESPN.com Article

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

I don't have any major problems with the grouping other than there are probably more deserving people (O'Doul, Mullane, Browning, Caruthers, etc.), but this is how I see them...

Deacon White--Honestly, he should have been in the Hall a long time ago (along with Stovey & Mathews), he was one of the true pioneers starting in the National Association... basically ditto everything Jay Miller said above.

Carl Mays--Had he not killed Ray Chapman he is already in the Hall of Fame. Deserving of being in there if you ask me.

Bill Dahlen--Another great player that should have probably been enshrined years ago, with nearly 2500 hits.

Wes Ferrell--was a great pitcher in his time, which unfortunately was also the most hitter freindly era in history. While his career ERA was right at 4.00 the league average over his career was almost an entire point higher. Six-time 20 game winner. He was also the better player of the two Ferrell brothers (his career BA is the same as his brothers, but he was a pitcher). And, probably most importantly he was consistently voted the best looking player during the 1930's by the female fans (then again so was Tony Mullane in his day so that may work against you getting into the Hall).

Sherry Magee--Good player but there are probably a few more deserving, but wouldn't seem out of place in the Hall.

Mickey Vernon-Good player, with 2500 career hits, with 2 years lost to the service. His stats were actually better than I had rememberred them being, but I still think there are more deserving players than Vernon.

Allie Reynolds--Dominating pitcher, but only One-20 game season may be enough to keep him out but he is probably deserving to be in at some point, but aren't there enough Yankees already in the Hall?

Bucky Walters--Good pitcher, Three-time 20-game winner, however he has 32 more losses than Ferrell and only 5 more wins. 198-160 just isn't quite good enough in my opinion.

Joe Gordon--Tons of All-Star game appearances, but his #'s just don't seem to back up him being in the Hall.

Vern Stephens--He is Bobby Doerr without Ted Williams to pull for him to be elected. Good player but probably just below the cut-off line in my opinion.