Thread: Bat Relic Cards
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 08:59 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I would take a dissenting view from most folks on this board. A bat is not inherently something that I would consider a "national treasure" with a possible exception of a Ruth bat or a historic bat (Brett pine tar for example). A lot of these bats may not be in good condition anyway. If you make a bat card for someone like Tony Lazzeri or George Kell, you open their story up to a whole new generation of collectors, not just us dinosaurs who are borderline academics when it comes to baseball (myself included). I have a card that has a piece of Babe Ruth's pants. I think it's quite cool, but frankly, other than the monetary value, I am not sure I wouldn't rather have a card with a small piece of his pants than his actual pants. It's not like I would wear them around the house or frame them as a holy grail. I am not even sure I would want to dwell too long on what might have gone on in those pants.
Good point Todd. But my question for you is how do you know that Babe Ruth card contains a swatch of his pants and not some Yankee batboy? I think we put too much trust in the card companies here. While I agree with Mark regarding the destruction of national treasures, if they are destroyed (smh) I'd like to know the specific origin of the swatch or sliver. Maybe through an online site with a reference serial number on the card. They could show a picture of the artifact (before being destroyed) and provide some information on the provenance and what cards were created with it.

Last edited by cfhofer; 03-21-2019 at 09:04 AM.