View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 10:53 AM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I would say $2000 would be the very rock bottom end. It's getting harder and harder to find really nice, and very clean Robinson, Hodges and a pre-accident Campanella. I could see Robinson and Campy going for 1500 each, and Hodges and an early Koufax going form 350-600 each. The others are really nice, but you can find nice examples of most of them for reasonable amounts.
In advising someone as to the value of what they have, I feel it is important to show them numbers based upon what they would net after taking fees and expenses into account. Maybe you can find that specific buyer who would pay top dollar without going thru an auction company, but I don't think you can rely on that. And I try to base my response using recent sales, so I was waiting to see some auctions close.

A beautiful Roy Campanella GPC dated 1949 (Campy's second year), with the salutation "Best wishes, Sincerely Roy Campanella", just sold at REA for $1200 including the 20% vig. Assuming the seller only paid a 5% commission, the net would be $900. Getting it PSA certified cost another $100, reducing the net to $800. And a beautiful dated GPC should always receive a premium over a signed page removed from an album.

A dated PSA Jackie Robinson dated GPC from 1952 sold for $930 including the vig in 2019. Net would be around $600. His signed GPC's have regularly sold for $900-1200, except for one dated from 1947. So let's assume a net of $800 here as well.

Koufax signed GPC's are rare, but his signed index cards, even with his vintage autograph, sell for $150. I know, I have sold several. This particular one is an early signature style, so you may get a premium, but an album page won't exceed $300. A Hodges GPC, with PSA cert, sold for $156 earlier this year at REA (although it was personalized, reducing the value). Another one, dated from 1948 (his rookie year), not personalized and with the PSA cert, sold for $300 earlier this year at Heritage. So $350-600 net for each just isn't realistic, and the more likely net result, after fees and expenses, is $400 for the pair.

The rest of the auto's are nice, but most wouldn't be sold for more than a few dollars. Drysdale, Snider and Alston are nice but don't sell very easily.

When you add it up, I think $2000 is the likely number that could be realized from a sale.