View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 02:10 PM
Matt Ferroni

As part of the original discussion thought I'd weigh in as it's been a few weeks. I am still very much obsessed with this project solely from a collecting standpoint. I enjoy everyday seeing the new releases and buying about 2-3 cards per week I like the most either from Topps directly or sellers on EBay for $17-18 a piece (only drawback to that is a little more wait time and miss out on the "what if" of the 1/1 lottery ticket).

Although admittedly it was fun to see cards I owned soar in value (and who doesn't get caught up in that) to a large degree I am glad the prices returned back to pre-Memorial Day weekend levels and we can get back to just focusing on the cards and the artists. I highly recommend listening to the Sports Card Nation podcasts where every Friday there is a different P2020 artist on talking about their process and inspirations - adds a real human element to it all and has made collecting certain artists for me like JK5 and Andrew Thiele even more enjoyable.

I am a little turned off by the new emphasis on autographed cards and companion cards being peddling now. To each their own but not for me. Just seems like people have to keep forcing the issue with this project being a money maker instead of just appreciating it for what it is. But again, the beauty to me is at this point you don't need too deep a wallet anymore to participate.

For anyone still on the fence, I encourage you to buy a few to see for yourself in-hand. The pictures online for the most part do not do these cards justice! I am predominantly a vintage post-war collector but have never spent so much time just staring at cards with a smile like I do with many of these. I am very happy with my collection regardless of card values and look forward to displaying them on a wall for years to come as a reminder not only of this phenomenon but especially during a time when many people needed this distraction and something that provided a little bit of joy!

Happy Collecting!