View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 08:21 PM
Joe Hunter

Default Authentic/Graded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Hawk View Post
Kevin clearly screwed the pooch.

However, as a buyer/seller of graded cards for 20 years, those on here judging an Authentic grade as not a 'grade' are incorrect.

A grade refers to an assessment, not a number.

Many many many many times I've been asked what grade a card received that I put in to a TPG. If the card can be holdered, even with an assessment of only 'authentic', that is the grade it received. There is even a column on all the big three TPGers that is for Auth. It is a grade, and sometimes will be considered superior to a 1 2 or 3 if fantastic eye appeal is of value.
This will happen regularly to cards like Old Judges, strip cards, and famously the 52' Topps Mantle.

Kevin is all kinds of wrong because he's a douche and finds the few extra dollars he can make more important than his hobby cred.
However, if this card WOULD grade Authentic because of an alteration like trimming and not meeting minimum size, and the card had indeed been entombed, he would technically be fine.

The first isn't mine...bummer.
The second I've owned for nearly 15 years.

Nope. Directly from the PSA Website:
"Authentication is the process of verifying the originality or genuineness of a trading card. Grading is assessing the quality and condition of a trading card using PSA's 10-point grading scale. Grading can only take place AFTER a trading card has been deemed AUTHENTIC."
I believe other grading companies concur this philosophy.