View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 12:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkas68 View Post
I understand the anger, but letting it burn is not exactly an answer. Yes, everybody feels better if a couple people go to jail, but let’s face it that there are a lot of innocent people that are hurt by this. On a smaller scale, it is no different than the housing crisis. A bunch of people did a bunch of terrible things that created a bubble and the crash, but they were not the ones that paid. Yes, a couple people went to jail, but not many.

I never bought a house I couldn’t afford or speculated on real estate, but when I sold my single family middle class home in Florida because I took a new job, I lost 95k. I am fortunate enough that 95k didn’t effect my ability to feed my family but some people lost everything (and they were not the speculators).

When I suggest we start a trade association I understand the hurdles involved, time, money, acceptance, etc. This scandal only brought to light what we already sort of knew, that there are not a lot of controls to help keep it clean. That doesn’t mean it will be completely clean... the stock market isn’t despite the SEC. However, it is clean enough that people still view it as legitimate despite a history of scandals that still dwarf anything PWCC has ever done. Since the hobby will never be important enough to warrant the federal baseball card exchange commission, it is pretty much up to us.
I am sure people will listen if you have a specific proposal, do you have one?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.