View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Default OT, but you guys need to read....

Posted By: John H.

"Anyway, if you liked "The Glory of their Times", which I absolutely did - best baseball book I've ever read - then I recommend "Baseball When the Grass was Real", by Donald Honig. Same basic premise as "Glory", but the interviews are with players from the 1920s and 30s. Highly recommended."

Honig followed up "Baseball When the Grass was Real" with "Baseball Between the Lines" featuring interviews with players from the 40's and 50's. Both books are great.

The "Glory of Their Times" CD set is one of the best Baseball related items you can ever purchase. Absolutely indispensable for the vintage Baseball buff. Larry Ritter's conversations with Sam Crawford, Rube Marquard, Chief Meyers, Fred Snodgrass, Hans Lobert and Smokey Joe Wood are priceless. There's a lot of material on these recordings that didn't get into the book. Get it, if you don't already have it.

Henry Thomas' biography "Walter Johnson - Baseball's Big Train" is terrific and there is a fairly new biography of Tris Speaker that I will have to pick up soon.

My favourite Baseball book of all is David Halberstam's "The Summer of '49". Reading that book made me feel like I was living in Boston and New York and experiencing that great pennant race firsthand.

John