View Single Post
Old 02-05-2023, 06:19 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
I had worked for the Cubs seven years in the 80's and one of the highlights of my time there was the ability to talk to the old timers who hung around the old ball park on a normal game day. I loved talking to guys like George Brace who had likely photographed every athlete that came through Wrigley or Comiskey since the Ruth/Gehrig era. There were several other old players and guys who worked around the old ball park since the 30's which loved to share any story they had if they were just asked. I was I had the thought to record or write down those stories as sadly, they are now gone.

The one thing I always asked of the old timers was about the called shot. SO many of them were there (and could prove it) and to a person, they all said Ruth never called his shot but rather held up his fingers towards the Cubs Dugout to indicate that it only took one pitch to hit the ball out. After the first pitch Ruth yelled "thats one" towards the Cubs dugout. After the second pitch I was told Ruth yelled "Thats two" towards the Cubs and then...well we all know what happened on the third pitch. These old timers all stated the same story to me and said that Ruth "laughed his ass off" as he rounded the bases.

This story, that was told to me by at least five separate guys who were eye witnesses to the event is the exact same story I have read over the years. While I want to believe Ruth called his shot, the people who were there that I know speak from direct knowledge tell this other story which I do believe.
Exactly what I was saying above Andrew. Per accounts Ruth initially said he was indicating to the Cubs players he still had another strike to go. It was only after others created the story that Ruth just took and went with it.

Last edited by BobC; 02-05-2023 at 06:24 PM.