View Single Post
Old 06-26-2002, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Default Unopened Sweet Caporal pack

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

These cartons came from a store here in my home town of Mount Joy. I was actually the person that went up into the attic and found these cartons laying on a shelf. If anybody has seen my About Me page on ebay, the first peanut roaster I bought (the Boss on Wheels) also was purchased at the liquidation of this mom and pop store a couple of weeks before I found the cartons. I was in the attic looking for peanut roaster parts when I spotted them. I had a flashlight with me and could read the date on them that night (very disappointing, as you can imagine my heart was racing like a Kentucky Derby thoroughbred). I purchased 1 unopened Sweet Caporal carton and 3/4 of a carton of Reyno Cigarettes from the same era manufactured by R J Reynolds and several loose packs of sweet Caporals at the auction that Saturday. Another member of this board bought one, and possibly one other member. If memory serves me right, there were 4 full Sweet Caporal "Ask Dad" cartons, 1 or 2 partials, a 3/4 full Reyno 2 piece carton, and maybe 40 or so loose packs that were found in a box of junk along with other unopened misc tobacco. The store had opened in the late 1880s and I had frequented it as a child to purchase baseball cards and penny candy. I think 3 of the 4 cartons had a red rubber stamped date of month and the year 1922. All 4 Sweet Caporal cartons were the same. The tax stamp was hard to read underneath the rice paper, but I opened 1 only to find stale tobacco, but no dead beetles. Keith