View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 12:33 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown View Post
There is case law on this -- Bridgeman Art Library vs. Corel (1999) "ruled that exact photographic copies of*public domain*images could not be protected by*copyright*in the United States because the copies lack*originality."(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge..._v._Corel_Corp.)

Miscuts, variations, etc., were still published, and are thus in the public domain. Unpublished material can be a whole other ball of wax, if IP ownership has been carefully managed, as with a few long-term literary estates.

(I am not a lawyer so don't depend on my info for your legal cases, please.)

If you're making an image of a slabbed card -- photo or scan, doesn't matter -- you'd have a better argument that it is a unique, copyright-able work, since the presence of the card's unique ID # etc. make it more than an exact copy of a public domain image.

All that said, it would still be wise and polite to get permission.

thx for the info. it would be tough for me to seek for permission from the owners of those cards. I am just trying to share all those t205 oddities images that I have collected from the internet for the past 25+ yrs. I just hope no one would mind me sharing their precious t205 collection with others, that's all.