View Single Post
Old 11-30-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YazFenway08 View Post
i am putting together a ‘91 topps set and trying to include all the main variations, including the light/dark logos and print code variations

i dont seem to have a single “dark logo, print code A/B” variation.

does anyone know where these come from? certain factory sets, wax/cello/rack, etc?

thanks in advance
I've been putting my Topps complete sets into binders. I have 76-93, 2000, 2008, 2021 and 2022 flagship and 2019 and 2022 Heritage. When I started putting my 1991 set into a binder, I, too, got sucked into this rabbit hole. I actually put the set together from packs back in 91, and I have my marked checklists to prove it. I actually made my own checklist of variations, based on what was being reported in Beckett at the time, I believe. I don't think the Mark Whiten variation was known then. I remember thinking there was something about those dark logos on the back of some cards, but all of my doubles got dispensed with somewhere along the way. I wonder now if I had any A*B* variants, but it seems unlikely.

I'm going to go with the variations that are on Trading Card Database for now. I'll just leave blank spaces in my binder sheets for all of those A*B* (and probably the Whiten and Drabek) variations. I've bought unopened wax, cello and rack pack boxes, plus a few complete sets (factory and hand-collated) in an attempt to get all of the more common variations before I give it a rest for a while.

I did actually pull at least one vintage card from a pack. It was a 1970 Terry Harmon, I believe. I still have it. It will go in the binder at the end of the (massive) complete set.