View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Default Auction house non delivery

About 7 years ago I won a card in a Superior auction, and sent payment. A week or so later FedEx delivered a package and it didn't feel right. I had the driver stay and opened it in front of him to find an empty package.
I contacted the auction house and was told they would investigate. After a week or so and a few calls they told me they had shipped the card and it wasn't their problem.
After a few more weeks the head of the auction house told me if he refunded my money he'd be out both the card and the $1700 and that wouldn't be right. When I countered that that was exactly the position I was in he had no response but said he would look into it.
3 months later I still had no restitution and was about to file in small claims. The auction house stalled but finally called and said they wanted hobby references, since they didn't believe that I had gotten an empty box. I provided them with a dozen or so, basically a who's who in the hobby.
3 weeks later I'd heard nothing, and by chance a friend called and I told him about it. He called on my behalf and got them to agree to send me a check.
About 10 days later and 2 more calls it finally showed up. I'm sure had it not been for Paul Moss stepping in on my behalf I would've had to sue them. While I had paid for shipping and insurance (I assume their excessive shipping included insurance) I was told they didn't have insurance and the shipping from them was at my risk.

I would never send anything of value via FedEx. Say what you want about the USPS, but IMO registered mail is the safest way to go.

FedEx lost a $15k prototype from a client, and never paid off. A few years ago a plane burned on the runway (I believe no one was injured) and the entire cargo was lost. It happens, but from my experience they never find themselves responsible. The service was designed to get escrow papers delivered quickly, not for shipment of goods.

Anthony Nex