View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 07:56 AM
Eri..c Hu.nt

Every once in a while you have to deal with the guy that will not take no for an answer. If you have a rare and desireable piece, it makes sense to start it high and work your way down.

I had a ball on Ebay that a guy really wanted. This guy was also a "somebody" and made sure to let me know it. I had my price high, but I've seen similar balls go for more. This guy did the same thing. He kept telling me how much he paid for the ones he had and what price I need to sell it to him for. He'd then make me an offer and tell me I only had a few hours to accept it.

When it didn't sell for buy it now, I started it lower and put it to auction. He kept e-mailing me with his "fair" offer. I'd tell him that I have a lot of watchers and was going to let it ride out. He'd tell me that a lot of watchers didn't mean they would bid and I should sell it to him for his buy it now price.

The day before the auction ended he e-mailed me again with a little higher offer and telling me I only had so much time to accept it. I told him I had bids already on it. He told me to cancel the bids and sell it to him. The bidding was pretty much at what he was offering too.

When the auction was done, he wound up bidding way more than what he offered me and still didn't come close to winning the auction. I think the arrogance of buyers has increased over the years. I can't tell you how many people ask me for free items because they bought a few things from me.